1.06.2012

Yarn!

I love color.

Around here [and much of this region], the houses (and people) share an overwhelming preference for beige.  Houses are varying shades of neutrals.  The interior decor is dominated by neutrals--just "in case" the homeowners want to sell.  Bah humbug, I say!

If you must keep your neutral wall color, make everything as bright and garish as you possibly can.  After all, we live in a winter dark environment.  Even at mid-day, the sun is so far tilted toward the south that it shouldn't be considered "overhead."


I rebel against the beige-people! 

What is the most garish and non-"Martha Stewart aesthetic" thing a family can have in its possession?  A granny square blanket.

That's right.  A zillion color mash of yarn.  Nothing says love like a granny!  [If you don't believe me, go check out this blog and see if you don't LOVE the wild colors.  They make you happy.]  Traditionally, these are made to keep the family warm during the winter, but also to use up yarn leftovers--kind of like a crazy quilt uses leftover fabric scraps.

So I have a bunch of "I love this yarn!" from Hobby Lobby and am doing my own wild color mash.  I planned on creating a granny square that kept growing without binding off to small 5 or 6 round squares because I didn't want to stitch them together.  While I hit the end of my first color-go-round, I briefly considered making blocks because this was going to get very large...

These pictures were taken a few days ago and the blanket has grown several rows since then.  But I absolutely adore it.  There is no rhyme or reason in the color selection, I just grab a yarn and run with it.  It is going to be wonderful!

I also am headed to my local yarn store (LYS) this afternoon because the yarn for my Selbu mittens came in.  Yay, new yarn!

No comments:

Post a Comment