1.12.2012

Everything else

It is easy to forget writing.  Ten thousand other tasks loom up as the sun rises:  pay the phone bill, don't forget to water the plants, get those dirty dishes out of the sink and into the dishwasher.  These little tasks are like dreaded pop-up ads.  Only you can't just click the X to make them vanish.  They perpetually lie in wait.


I am a procrastinator.  I push things off until they can't be pushed off any more.  I procrastinate grading papers.  I procrastinate doing laundry.  I procrastinate mowing the lawn.  I even poke along at writing.  Heck, I am procrastinating this very minute!

What could I be doing instead of flapping my fingers here?  Writing.  Grading.  Dishes.

I need to continue with something similar to the NaNoWriMo habit of writing X number of words per day.  Surprisingly, even if I didn't really know what I would be writing that day, something always showed up and in a fairly compact amount of time.  I had plenty of time for procrastination afterwards!  This is the butt-in-chair process.

Have I practiced it since?  No.
Have I made any serious progress?  No.

So it is clear that my priorities are going to have to change.  Writing first.  Then all the other crap.


No comments:

Post a Comment